Thursday, May 5, 2011

Volunteering Leads to Learning

I missed a blog entry yesterday because I ended up being so busy, I just didn't have a minute to gather my thoughts and formulate a decent post. I've been tending the garden and securing things. I'm glad I did, because this is what I saw this morning:


Yes, that's right a really, really bad, blurry photograph of a gigantic rabbit sitting, staring at my lettuce, spinach and peas patch. Last year, I was foolish enough to think that rabbits wouldn't, or couldn't just gnaw right through this flimsy plastic fencing I put up (because I thought it looked nicer). I swiftly learned that they loved to sit in the garden and leisurely munch on my peas and lettuces. No more, Mrs. Rabbit; no more!

At the beginning of the school year I volunteered for several things, and one of them was to make home made play dough. Well, it's pretty much just salt dough, but it was really cool to see it come together. I hadn't ever made home made play dough before, but I am definitely going to make a batch for home as well.

The recipe is easy:


OK, see that little note about adding extract to make the smell nice? Uh, huh, yeah, well, I have pure mint extract, and I thought that I'd add a few "drops" of that. Mm, yeah, OK, well, the bottle doesn't have a dropper opening. The play dough I made smells AWESOME. Through the bag, and Sophia's backpack and everything. (Yes, I dropped in about half a bottle)





Just dumped all the ingredients in the pot, and turned on the heat. It gets really difficult to stir before it even gets all that hot. When it got nearly impossible to stir, I plopped it on the surface of my granite island.



And kneaded it until it was exactly like regular play dough. It was fun to make, fast and really easy. I'm thinking that I won't buy regular play dough anymore. I loved making this for her school, and I loved to learn a new skill. 


The finished product!

I've been spending most of the day cooking and preparing for a nice meal (ribs again!!) for my uncle, who's been kind enough to give me his time, and the use of his truck and trailer to pick up the brand new peddle boat I just bought!! I'm sooo excited. So, I'm going to get on searing and braising, and maybe tomorrow's post will be about peddle power!

No comments:

Post a Comment