Thursday, April 14, 2011

It's The Little Things

When there are small children in a household, a person finds out very quickly that there is a huge potential for waste. Waste of food, waste of materials, waste of "disposable" products. As a concerned mother, I started to get very upset about the number of straws we were blowing through in a month. I envisioned plastic straws floating in the water ways, and stuck in bird's beaks or talons, rolling around years after the last sip was drawn through it. So, I set out on a hunt for reusable straws. There is a remarkable selection of reusable straws, ranging from stainless steel to glass, flexible food safe straws, and rigid plastic.

This is a lovely stainless steel straw, but I don't like the opaque nature of this one. I want to see inside, and know if there are some creepy things growing in there.


This one is made of glass, which is awesome, really aesthetically nice, but I just can't see them lasting very long with a 6 year old.


At the end of the day, after a lot of research, I ended up buying this item, which included the cup AND straw, for $5.99 at Walgreens. Amazon sells it for $7.99 and you have to pay that pesky shipping. For us, I think that this is the best deal, since the price on a single glass straw is roughly $9.00, and the stainless steel straws range pretty wildly, but you can get a set of 4 on Amazon for $8.99.

I have to say it feels good to eliminate (at least drastically reduce) the amount of plastic drinking straws we're tossing into the land fill. So, my tip for today is The Eco Cold Drink Cup with reusable straw. It's served us very well with morning smoothies, iced coffees, lemonade or just plain ole ice water.

No comments:

Post a Comment